It’s easy to forget just how much easier appliances make our everyday lives, from saving time and effort on having clothes washed and dried, dishes cleaned, food quickly cooked, etc. However, the downside is that appliances pose fire and safety risks. For example, do you know what to do if your washer is leaking? Or if your stove refuses to shut off? While you can always call The Appliance Doctor at 970-773-1000 for repairs, maintenance, and installations, it can be handy to know some emergency tips when it comes to your appliances. Knowing such information can not only save your appliances, but can also ensure your safety and that of your home.
When your fridge loses power due to a power outage or mechanical failure, food in the fridge will stay cold for about 4 hours, if the fridge is unopened. A full freezer will keep the temperature for approximately 48 hours, (24 hours if it is half full) if the door remains closed. Here’s what you can do:
- Use dry ice blocks if possible to preserve your food.
- Open the fridge as little as possible.
- If at any point the food was above 40º F for 2 hours or more (or 1 hour if temperatures are above 90º F) — discard it.
If you’re having refrigerator issues, call us at 970-773-1000, or visit our Refrigerators Repairs page to schedule an appointment.
In the event of leaking, you’ll want to:
- Locate the shut off valve and turn it off.
- Refrain from further using the appliance until repairs are made. To schedule an appointment, visit our Washers/ Dryers page or our Dishwashers page.
A scary and dangerous scenario is when your stove or oven won’t turn off, even as you hit the “OFF” button. Resulting from a control pad glitch, broken knob, faulty surface element, etc., here’s how you can shut off an oven or stove:
- Unplug the appliance from the wall, and wait a full minute.
- If the above fails to shut off the oven or stove, turn off at the breaker.
For any stove and/ or oven woes, visit our Stoves/ Ovens repairs page to schedule an appointment online.
Having Appliance Problems? Need Installation or Repairs? Call The Appliance Doctor!
Is your AC failing to keep you cool? Or you have a burner on your stove that fails to heat? Reach out to us at 970-773-1000 or visit our site here to schedule an appointment, our certified technicians are here to get your household appliances up and running.